All of these recipes make great use of your leftover Thanksgiving turkey…
Roast Turkey Hash
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 ½ cups diced roast turkey
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced boiled or roasted potatoes
1 cup diced cooked butternut squash
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and peppers for 6-8 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the spices and sauté for another minute. Add the potatoes, squash, and turkey. Adjust the heat under the skillet to very hot. Slightly mash the mixture in the skillet and let it brown for several minutes before stirring. Slightly mash the mixture again, and let sit for another few minutes to continue browning thoroughly. Add the water and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook another minute until the water is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Courtesy of strongertogether.coop
Turkey, Avocado, and Shiitake Sandwich
Everyone enjoys a nice sandwich, and this is a hearty winter one. Make this big handful with wonderful Rustica levain, miche, or other rustic bread, and you’ll need nothing else for a terrific meal except a fine dessert apple.
Makes 2 servings
2 tsp. mayonnaise
Freshly ground black pepper
3 slices of roasted turkey breast per sandwich
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
½ c. fresh shiitake
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 thinly sliced green onion or several thin rounds of sweet white onion
- For two sandwiches, cut four thick slices of bread and spread them with mayonnaise; grind black pepper over the mayonnaise.
- Lay slices of turkey meat on half of each sandwich; follow with slices of avocado. Sprinkle these with apple cider vinegar and a smidge of sea salt.
- Heat a small skillet on medium, then add olive oil. When it begins to shimmer, add thickly sliced shiitake caps, stir to coat, and when the cross sections of caps turn a pale gold, add soy sauce. Cook until caps soften; remove to a side dish and cool slightly.
- Lay lettuce leaves on second slices of breads, then add sliced onions.
- Spoon cooled shiitake onto avocado slices and join two halves of each sandwich.