There’s something about a DIY gift that says a little something extra. These body care products are easy to make and will make the person you give them to feel extra-special. Look for the DIY station at all our stores to find the ingredient you need.
Lavender Body Butter
Using a mixer to whip this body butter creates a light, creamy texture that’s a joy to apply. Soothing lavender provides a delectable aroma and first rate skin care benefits.
1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa butter
3 tablespoons (45 mL) sweet almond oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) vegetable glycerin
50 drops lavender essential oil
1. In a saucepan over low heat, melt cocoa butter.
2. Remove from heat and stir in sweet almond oil, vegetable glycerin and lavender essential oil.
3. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl set in an ice water bath. Whip mixture as it sets up into a cream.
4. Remove cream from ice water bath and scoop into a jar or tin. To use, apply desired amount to skin as a cream.
Peppermint Body Wash
Sometimes cleansing isn’t just about getting clean, but getting a fresh, vigorous start. In the morning before work or after a long day, this bracing and minty body wash will get you going.
4 ounces unscented liquid soap (Castile type, such as Dr. Bronner’s)
18 drops peppermint essential oil
3 drops sweet orange essential oil
3 drops lavender essential oil
1. Mix oils and liquid soap and use anytime you need an energizing, cleansing boost.
2. Before use, spot-test in an inconspicuous area to ensure that the product does not irritate your skin.
Lavender Lemon Nail Oil
9 drops lavender essential oil
3 drops lemon essential oil
1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) sweet almond oil
.31 ounce (10 mL) amber glass roll-on bottle
1. Measure essential oils into roll-on bottle, top off with sweet almond oil, replace lid and shake until blended.
2. Apply to nails and cuticles as needed.
Almond Sweet Orange Foot Scrub
This gentle foot scrub replaces the sugar granules with softer ground almonds in a sweet almond oil base. The sweetness continues with the fruity fresh addition of vanilla and sweet orange oil.
2 fluid ounces (60 mL) sweet almond oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) whole almonds
48 drops sweet orange essential oil
4 ounces (118 mL) wide mouth amber glass jar
1. Measure sweet almond oil into a small mixing bowl.
2. Place almonds in a blender or food processor and pulse until a medium fine meal forms.
3. Add ground almonds to sweet almond oil and mix well.
4. Add sweet orange essential oil to mixture and stir well.
5. To use, apply about 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of scrub to each foot, massaging and scrubbing across entire surface. Rinse with warm water and towel dry.