Mississippi Market proudly supports Lundberg Family Farms, a third generation operation that grows organic rice and produces a range of sustainable products, including a variety of bagged and boxed rices, risotto, rice cakes, rice chips, rice crackers, and brown rice syrup for baking. Not only are their products delicious and nutritious, they’re made in a way that pays particular attention to their impact on both people and planet. Since 1937, the Lundberg family has been growing healthy, great tasting rice while respecting and sustaining the earth. Their commitment to respecting natural resources is an admirable one and one of the many reasons why we carry their products at the co-op.
Lundberg Family Farms honors their 3rd generation family farming legacy by nourishing, conserving, and innovating for a healthier planet.
- Since 1937, the Lundberg family has been growing healthy, great tasting rice using eco-friendly farming methods to produce wholesome products while protecting the environment for future generations.
- After surviving ravages resulting from the Dustbowl, the Lundbergs went on to pioneer organic rice-growing techniques in America.
- Lundberg Family Farms has been growing grains organically since 1968. They are also a proud participant of the Non-GMO Project and practice ecological farming methods including crop rotation, wildlife and water conservation, and natural soil enrichment.
- Lundberg Family Farms is committed to sustainability in all aspects of business, from field-to-farmer.
Lundberg Family Farms’ commitment to energy efficiency, conservation, and on-site renewable energy generation are important aspects of their eco-friendly farming practice.
- Their centrally-located processing facility helps reduce food miles and the amount of energy used in transporting products – incoming rice harvests travel no more than 90 miles and wild rice harvests travel no more than 220 miles.
- A team is currently researching alternative fuels for use in their processing and distribution platforms, including biodiesels made from used vegetable and animal oils.
- They also make use of packaged material efficiencies, production efficiencies, renewable energy sources like solar and green building facilities.
- At their green processing facility, they’re working towards achieving a Zero Waste standard and have implemented many types of water efficient fixtures and landscaping.
Renewable energy and recyclable resources play large roles in Lundberg Family Farms’ sustainable farming operations.
- Rice straw is returned to the soil after harvest and allowed to compost, enriching the soil with beneficial nutrients for future plant growth.
- Green energy sources, including solar power and biodiesel, are purchased and generated for Lundberg’s central processing facility and their fleet of distribution vehicles.
- Since 2003, they’ve purchased Renewable Energy Credits to offset 100% of purchased electricity for operations; since 2013, they’ve purchased Carbon Offsets for natural gas used at their processing facility.
- Rice milling and processing byproducts are repurposed in other markets for things like rice hull animal bedding and livestock feed, effectively reducing and diverting waste.