Mississippi Market creates positive change in the community by influencing the production, distribution and enjoyment of food.
Mississippi Market makes our community better by growing our existing stores and seeking innovative opportunities to bring great food and cooperative values to new neighbors.
We achieve our vision by:
- Delivering exceptional customer services experiences.
- Supporting and developing an engaged workforce.
- Achieving operational excellence.
- Being the most trusted advisor.
- Fostering growth in the local food economy.
Cooperatives are based on the values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity and solidarity. In the tradition of their founders, cooperative members believe in the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others.”
– The International Co-operative Alliance
Not only does Mississippi Market strive to adhere to these cooperative values, the co-op has our own set of values in place, including:
- Supporting the local economy.
- Working for global sustainability.
- Outreach to our community.
Unlike our conventional counterparts, Mississippi Market is owned and governed by member-owners and rooted in principles like community, voluntary and open membership, economic participation, and cooperation. Because of these principles and practices, food co-ops inherently serve and directly benefit the communities where they are located.
Product & Brand Values
Mississippi Market gives strong preference to products that are desired by co-op member-owners and shoppers, and brands that share our collective commitment to the following values.
CONTRIBUTE TO A JUST & EQUITABLE ECONOMY
- Fairly-priced, offering value to co-op customers and member-owners
- Produced or distributed by cooperatively-owned vendors
- Available for purchase on the WIC program
SUPPORT SUSTAINABLE & ETHICAL PRODUCTION
- Certified organic
- Free of growth hormones or antibiotics
- Produced using practices that support sustainable agriculture
- Raised using sound animal husbandry and humane practices