Save 10% on all supplements, vitamins, and protein powders on the 2nd Wednesday of every month during Wellness Wednesday! Discount does not apply to bulk herbs.
The dates of the 2016 Wellness Wednesdays are:
Adventures in Aromatherapy
According to the Mayo Clinic:
Aromatherapy is thought to work by stimulating smell receptors in the nose, which then send messages through the nervous system to the limbic system — the part of the brain that controls emotions.
In addition, some studies have shown that aromatherapy might have health benefits, including:
Relief from anxiety and depression
Improved quality of life, particularly for people with chronic health conditions
At Mississippi Market, we carry 3 local essential oil lines – Aura Cacia, Veriditas, and Wyndmere. All of these use sustainble harvesting practices and use quality ingredients in their essential oils.
A fun way to enjoy aromatherapy is to make your own blends by mixing essential oils. Besides our wide array of essential oils, we also have the materials you need for your DIY aromatherapy adventures- containers, clays beeswax, carrier oils, etc.
Here are some of our favorite Aromatherapy recipes.
Sweet Coconut Body Cream
1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
1/2 cup carrier oil (sweet almond, jojoba, etc)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 oz beeswax beads
1/2 tsp Vitamin E
15-20 drops of yourpreferred essential oil
1. In a double boiler on low heat, combine coconut oils, carrier oil, and beeswax beads.
2. Heat just until wax melts, then remove from heat.
3. Add vitamin E oil and essential oils, stir well to combine.
4. Immediately pour oil mixture into jars and leave open to cool.
15 ml jojoba oil
90 drops of your preferred essential oil (try sweet orange, vanilla, or cocoa & rose)
5 grams beeswax
1. Blend the jojoba oil and essential oils in a shot glass or metal measuring cup. When blended, test the oil on your skin to see if you like the scent. If it is not strong enough, add a bit more essential oil.
2. Place beeswax in a small glass or metal measuring cup and warm until melted in a water bath.
3. Carefully pour in the essential oil blend and stir well.
4. Immediately pour oil mixture into a container and cool completely before sealing the container.
Grapefruit sugar scrub
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup almond oil
10 drops lavendar essential oil
10 drops grapefruit essential oil
1. Blend all the ingredients together and store in a jar. While showering, rub onto skin to invigorate and moistureize.
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp almond oil
3 drops of your preferred essential oil (try rose or lemon)
1. Blend all ingredients together in a small container.
2. Gently rub in a small dab of the exfoliator on the lips or as a spot treatment on the face.
Interested in more recipes? Aura Cacia has a large collection of aromatherapy recipes on their website.
Each Mississippi Market store stocks a wide variety of wellness remedies and dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, homeopathics, herbs, probiotics, protein powders, and food-based nutritional supplements.
Addressing concerns about supplements
In light of some recent articles regarding the questionable quality of supplements, we wanted to take the time to let you know what we are doing to offer the highest quality supplements available.
The FDA has created a set of Good Manufacturing Practices which they require all supplement manufacturers to follow. They don’t review products before they reach the shelf, but rather do police work on brands that are selling products that do not meet their standards. This is why less than reputable companies can get product to the shelf that makes false claims.
An easy way to find products you can trust is to look for a third party current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) certification. The NSF and NPA are the two big certifying agencies that come in to audit manufacturers and test products. If you see their seals on the package, you can rest assured that the product is what it claims, is not contaminated or adulterated, and has been processed the way the FDA requires. An example of a few of the many quality brands that have these third party certifications: Nordic Naturals, MegaFood, New Chapter, Wiley’s Finest Fish Oil, Enzymedica, Flora, and our Mississippi Market Brand supplements.
Before you go shopping, take a look at the NSF and NPA websites – they list the companies they work with and certify. Some companies offer transparency in other way, like Gaia Herbs “Meet Your Herbs” app which allows you to track each box’s specific batch of herbs to see how they were grown, harvested, extracted AND validated.
Ask us! We know our products and we can help you find what you’re looking for. There are smaller lines that might not have the NSF or NPA seal, but do follow cGMPs and our Wellness staff may have attended trainings with their herbalist or formulator, or we’ve visited their farm and seen their organic herbs growing. We have longtime relationships with many of our vendors and we have used and sold these supplements for years.
Finally, feel comfortable buying Mississippi Market brand supplements. These are certified by the NPA and go above and beyond to ensure quality. Here’s a few of the things they do to make sure that they are providing exactly what they claim and that their supplements are safe:
– every bottle is coded for complete batch history
– full disclosure labels
– technical department who can answer customer questions anytime
– metal detectors in their packing lines to ensure that there are no accidental fragments in any product
– melamine testing on protein powders using HPLC analytical instrumentation method capable of detecting as little as 1.0ppm
– double verified gluten free testing program using ELISA test and verifying no more than 10ppm, in addition to the raw material testing
– full NPA GMP Certification
– two safety seals
-disintegration testing on all batches
Each Mississippi Market store stocks a wide variety of dietary supplements and remedies, including vitamins, minerals, homeopathics, herbs, probiotics, protein powders, and food-based nutritional supplements. We also carry a large variety of natural personal care products, such as soaps, lotions, facial care, essential oils, deodorants, oral care, first aid, and natural cosmetics. None of these products, to the best of our knowledge, have been tested on animals. We also offer many vegetarian, vegan, non-GMO verified and organic options.