As part of our Celebrate Community series, we are celebrating the rich cultural diversity of our very own staff members at Mississippi Market.
Victor has worked for Mississippi Market for 9 years now, most recently as the Produce Manager at our East 7th store. Having just returned from a visit home to the Philippines, Victor shared a recipe for pinakbet – a popular dish to serve at any Filipino gathering. Victor recommends substituting tofu for the pork belly as an easy way to make this dish vegetarian.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ pound pork belly, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- ½ small Kabocha squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- 6 to 8 okra, ends trimmed
- ½ bunch long beans, ends trimmed and cut into into 3-inch lengths
- 1 ampalaya (bittermelon), seeded, halved and cut into 1-inch thick
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch thick
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until limp and aromatic. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is lightly browned.
2. Add soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with back of spoon, for about 5 minutes.
3. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until meat is tender. Add more water in ½ cup increments as needed to maintain about 1 cup of liquid.
4. Add squash and cook for 2 minutes. Add okra, long beans, ampalaya and eggplant. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from kawalingpinoy.com/pinakbet
View previous posts in this series
Celebrate Community: America
Celebrate Community: Ebele
Celebrate Community: Libya
Celebrate Community: Yemen
Celebrate Community: Iran
Celebrate Community: Syria
Celebrate Community: Sudan
Celebrate Community: Iraq
Celebrate Community: Somalia