Dear Mississippi Market Co-op Community,
As each day passes, the impacts of COVID-19 continue to increase throughout our community. As you’ve likely heard, Governor Walz’s statewide stay-at-home order goes into effect at midnight this evening, Friday, March 27th, and lasts through Friday, April 10th. During this time, you are highly encouraged to only leave your home for essential trips or supplies (i.e. necessary medical care, food, etc.) and for exercise.
Under this new order, grocery stores are one of many businesses deemed essential. All three of our stores remain open to provide you with access to healthy food and wellness products. Our first priority remains the safety and well-being of our staff, our customers, and our community. This week, we implemented additional safety procedures at the co-op and are in the process of finalizing more that will begin soon.
AT THE REGISTER
- We have installed plexiglass sneeze guards between cashiers and customers as an added safety measure for everyone. One of the main ways the virus spreads is through airborne droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze.
- Floors near checkout lines have been taped to identify the appropriate social distancing guideline of remaining six feet apart from others.
- You may still bring in reusable shopping bags for your purchases, but please bag your own groceries if you do so. Otherwise, we’re still happy to bag your groceries in our recyclable brown paper bags.
- Please consider purchasing a refillable co-op gift card, using credit/debit cards, or using contactless smartphone payment options (i.e. Google Pay or Apple Pay) instead of cash when checking out at registers. This is another way we can decrease touch points between shoppers and staff to limit the potential spread of infection.
- In order to avoid crowded aisles, we have canceled our April Wellness Wednesday.
IN THE DELI
- Daily deli deals are temporarily suspended.
- Beginning Wednesday, April 1st, we will further limit the service elements in our delis.
- All made-to-order sandwiches, fresh juices, smoothies, and espresso drinks will be temporarily unavailable until further notice, as will sliced deli meats.
- We will package our soups and sell them from our grab and go cases, but hot soup will no longer be served.
- Sushi will be absent from our deli cases.
- We will close our service cases, but fresh prepared foods can still be found in our grab-and-go cases along with heat-and-eat meals.
SELBY REMODEL & DALE STREET BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION
- Due to COVID-19, the Selby store remodel and expansion project has been placed on hold until further notice. In these uncertain times, we need to put all of our attention toward serving our community and keeping our staff and shoppers safe.
- Construction to replace the Dale Street bridge over I-94, just north of our Selby store, began this past Monday, March 23rd. All on and off ramps from the highway at Dale are now closed and are expected to remain that way until late fall. The bridge is being replaced in stages to allow one lane of car traffic to remain open in both directions. Please follow all posted detours and allow extra time when taking I-94 to our Selby store. Additional details here.
- The first hour of each day has been reserved for seniors (age 60+) and those with compromised immune systems to shop after our nightly deep cleaning and restocking. Please respect this request to the extent possible to allow shoppers who are at a higher risk the ability to shop safely.
- Please continue practicing social distancing and remain six feet apart from other shoppers and staff. Allow extra time for your shopping trips to accommodate this need. Please be patient, and wait to take an item from the shelves if another shopper is already shopping in that area. “Excuse me” remains a great way to announce your presence to other shoppers and staff.
- Try to limit your shopping trips to the co-op each week and if possible, shop alone, without partners or children, to limit the potential spread of infection.
- Due to on-going supply shortages, out-of-stocks, and the uncertainty of product selections, we have limited the quantity you can purchase of certain items. Although we removed information on sales promotions from our website, we continue to offer many products at sale prices.
- Our staff have been working very hard to ensure you can find the products you need! We instituted a $2.00 an hour bonus for them effective March 9th. It will be evaluated as the weeks go by and this crisis unfolds. We greatly appreciate their work every single day.
- Many of you have expressed your thanks through our comment system, and we have posted those for all staff to read. I encourage you to thank them in person as well – just remember to stay six feet away!
Thank you for your continued patience and support as we navigate these challenges together. Updates will continue to be provided as necessary on in-store signage, via email, on our social media pages @msmarketcoop (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram), and on our website at msmarket.coop/covid-19-updates.
Interim General Manager