Like peanut butter and jelly or salt and pepper, wine and cheese are a classic duo. Recently Rochdale Farms and The Wine Thief & The Ale Jail, two of our wonderful local partners, joined us in hosting a virtual wine and cheese tasting. If you missed the event, you can find the recording and information about the pairings below to have your own tasting anytime!
Tips for setting up your cheese board:
- Pull your cheeses from the fridge and let them come to room temperature before enjoying. You’ll get the full flavors this way!
- Focus on 2-4 varieties that span from mild to robust, starting with the mildest.
- Keep your board pretty by avoiding “cubing” your cheeses if you can. Diagonal wedges or strips can make things more interesting!
- Include palette cleansers like bread, crackers, nuts, and dried or fresh fruits. Addie Elling, our East 7th cheese buyer, recommends these accompaniments from the co-op:
- La Quercia prosciutto
- Firehook sea salt crackers
- Local honey
- Pam’s Pepper Jam
- Mitica caramelized walnuts
- Mitica Marcona almonds
- Local apples
Grab items from the shopping list below and enjoy! For added fun, view or print this pairing guide + tasting notes handout.
Visit The Wine Thief & The Ale Jail for:
Hope Estate, Basalt Block Shiraz
Cuvee Clemence, White Bordeaux
Airlie, Müller Thurgau
Bernard Fouquet, Domaine des Aubuisières, Vouvray
Orval, Trappist Ale
Visit Mississippi Market for:
Rochdale Grass-Fed Artisan Bleu
Rochdale 2-Year Seasonal Cheddar
Rochdale Baby Swiss