Mississippi Market Natural Foods Co-op strives to provide educational opportunities that appeal to our members and shoppers and support our mission to promote natural foods, health and wellness, and a sustainable environment.
- Classes are chosen based on their likelihood for success with Mississippi Market’s members/shoppers, the instructors’ expertise and references, products we carry, and evaluations from classes previously taught.
- Ingredients must be available at Mississippi Market.
- Instructors are encouraged to submit their proposals for the two month period in advance of submission deadline.
- Mississippi Market will book, at most, 10 classes per month.
- Classes are held at Mississippi Market’s East 7th and West 7th store locations. Indicate preferred location on form.
- We ask that new instructors submit a head shot with their proposal.
- Mississippi Market handles all registration of students and collection of fees.
- Instructors determine participant minimum for class to be held, and class size limit. Room capacity: 16 with tables and chairs, 30 with chairs only.
- Two seats per class are reserved for Mississippi Market staff at no charge. (This is not included in your minimum or maximum participant count).
- You will need to determine 3 days before the class if there are enough participants registered. Contact our Education & Events Specialist to cancel or change a class.
- Students need to register and pay for the class through Eventbrite or at Customer Service before the class starts. Mississippi Market is not responsible for tracking down payment after a class ends.
- Mississippi Market retains 25% of registration fees from lectures and classes.
- Mississippi Market provides a 20% discount on food purchased at Mississippi Market for use in classes.
- Instructors determine what to charge per participant. We ask that co-op members be charged $3-5 less than non-members, so please price your class accordingly.
- Class fees should be enough to cover all materials needed and the instructor’s time.
- Instructors will be sent a check and statement of account for any class(es) taught within two weeks of teaching.
- All paid lectures should provide a written handout. Cooking classes should provide samples.
- All ingredients for cooking classes should be available at Mississippi Market. Mississippi Market will provide a 20% discount on food purchased for a class.
- Instructors may provide information about their business or area of expertise, but our classes are meant to spread knowledge, not advertise. Excessive advertisement often results in poor evaluations.
- Mississippi Market does not allow distribution of recruitment or campaign literature.
- Class evaluations will be provided. Instructors should facilitate completion of these and have students return them to the box provided.
- Instructors are responsible for notifying our Education & Events Specialist of all tools needed for the class, provided this is done well in advance of the class.
- We provide: classroom kitchen with electric cook top, convection/radiant oven, sinks, dishwasher, refrigerator/freezer, basic kitchen utensils and place settings. Projector and laptop set up is available upon request.