Create Positive Change
Each time you shop at the co-op, you have a chance to directly support local nonprofits by donating your 10-cent reusable bag credits and rounding up your purchases to the nearest dollar. It may only be a few cents or spare change, but your generosity makes a huge impact — to the tune of over $11,000 each month for our Positive Change recipients!
Model Cities of St. Paul
January’s Positive Change recipient is Model Cities of St. Paul (MCSP). Their mission is to create social and economic prosperity by providing access to opportunities that stabilize and develop families and communities in the area.
MCSP achieves their mission through several programs:
- Safe Space Shelter. A secure, overnight emergency shelter in downtown St. Paul that provides a place to spend the night and a safe space to refocus in the morning.
- Supportive housing. Two housing programs (one for ages 17-25 and one for ages 25+) help families access stable housing, support services, parenting education, and community-building activities.
- Youth services. Community and family coaching services provide support for school attendance, mental and behavioral health, academics, and family stability.
- Homeownership services. Professional homeownership advisors help first-time homebuyers understand the process of purchasing a house.
- Financial literacy services. Workshops teach financial literacy, credit improvement, and healthy money management behaviors that enable long-term financial independence.
January funds will go toward their Safe Space Shelter (SSS). Located in the Ramsey County Government Building, the SSS provides overnight housing and a safe place in the morning to create a plan “to make today better than yesterday.” Your donations will help purchase coats, socks, shoes, soap, shampoo, water, food and more for the community members staying there.