- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups aged yellow cheddar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large pan, sauté chopped onions with butter until translucent.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Stir mixture into onions. Add milk and half-and-half to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken (about 3 minutes). Turn off heat.
- Add 1 ½ cups grated aged yellow cheddar to the pan and stir until melted. Add sliced potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into buttered casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take off foil and sprinkle remaining ½ cup grated aged yellow cheddar on top. Return to oven and bake for additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.
Share this Recipe