- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 2 cups fresh kale, tough ribs removed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15oz. can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. salt, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, squash, bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 1 minute. Pour in the diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the broth. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 2 bay leaves and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and add the great northern beans and the chopped kale. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes, until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat, then remove the bay leaves. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Recipe adapted from cookieandkate.com.
Share this Recipe