- 3 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb lean stew meat, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 15 oz diced tomatoes, canned, with juice
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1 qt beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 leaf bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a shallow bowl combine flour and salt. Dredge chunks of meat in flour mixture to coat completely.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, then quickly brown chunks of beef.
- To cook in a slow cooker: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef to the crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Cook for 7 hours, and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- To cook on the stovetop: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef to a bowl when it is browned on the outside but not cooked through. To the oil in the pan, add onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery, tomato, barley, stock, water, thyme, bay leaf and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, just barely bubbling. Cook for 30 minutes, and test the barley to see if it’s tender. If necessary, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Recipe courtesy of StrongerTogether.coop
Share this Recipe