- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sweet potato, diced
- 1 whole chipotle or jalepeno pepper, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 15oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 15oz. cans black beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté onion for a few minutes, then add sweet potato and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chipotle or jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, and the smoked paprika. Heat until spices are very fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for approx. 30-35 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Serving ideas: Top with sliced avocado, sour cream, chives, or cheddar cheese.
Share this Recipe