- 1 cup black rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 lbs mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or cooking wine
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Cook black rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, heat olive oil over med. heat in a large skillet. Add shallots and celery. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 min.
- Raise heat to high, and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to color and stick to the pan, about 5 min.
- Turn the heat to med-high and cook, stirring often, until the shallots and celery are tender, juicy and fragrant, 5-8 min.
- Add garlic and stir for a min, then add wine, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over med. heat, stirring often, for 5 min. Add diluted tomato paste, and cook for about 5 min, until browned. Stir in the rice and parsley, salt & pepper to taste. Serve with a salad.
Adapted from Martha Rose Shulman for the NY Times
Share this Recipe