- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups black lentils (dried)
- 3.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar (white wine or balsamic vinegar can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Cook and stir onion, carrot, celery, and salt until vegetables are softened and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add thyme sprigs and pepper. Stir in lentils until well coated. Add vegetable stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, checking occasionally, until the lentils are tender and have absorbed all the liquid, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and discard thyme stems. Stir in champagne vinegar and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
You can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock, if you prefer. When serving the lentils, try topping with a fried egg or crumbled feta cheese for even more flavor and protein!
Share this Recipe