- 1 1/2 cups bulk long grain brown rice
- 1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 large zucchini
- 4 whole radishes with green tops
- 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 5 Tbsp. barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Read through the entire recipe before getting started. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. Remove ends from zucchini and discard; then cut in half, stand each half vertically on the cutting board and cut into ½" slices. Remove top from radishes, clean greens and set aside; then, thinly slice radishes. Leave parsley leaves and stems whole. Peel garlic cloves, leave whole. Remove chicken thighs from package and pat dry.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a medium pot with a tight fitting lid. Once heat, add rice and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes until the rice is turning translucent and starting to smell nutty. Add 2 – 2 ½ cups water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20 – 25 minutes until tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. While rice is cooking, begin searing the chicken thighs (step #3). Note: if rice has absorbed the water but isn’t fully cooked after 25 minutes, add ¼ cup of water, cover, and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Season chicken with a pinch of salt and peppers. When hot, add to pan skin side down and sear 5 - 6 minutes until nicely browned, then move thighs to baking sheet and bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until fully cooked (reached internal temp of 160 degrees).
- Place parsley, radishes greens, garlic, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, 3 Tbsp. oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper to taste in food processor or blender. Pulse 1-2 min until very smooth and incorporated. Note: If no food processor or blender is available, simply mince parsley and garlic until very fine. Place in a small bowl with red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, 3 Tbsp. oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk well. Let sauce stand at room temperature until plating.
- Add zucchini pieces to previously used grill or sauté pan and cook 1-2 min per side until zucchini is golden charred and beginning to soften. Remove from heat.
- Divide rice between four bowls. Top each with grilled zucchini, radishes, and a chicken thigh, Drizzle with plenty of Chimichurri. Enjoy!
This recipe was taught as part of the Budget Cooking at the Co-op class series. The recipe was provided by East Side Table and their Local Crate meal kit program.
Share this Recipe