- 2/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed and separated
- 2-3 whole jalapeno chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems included (about 1 cup), chopped
- 2 lbs chicken legs and thighs
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- 1 each your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, cheese, green onions, avocado, salsa, shredded lettuce or cabbage
- In a food processor or blender, combine 1/3 cup of the orange juice, jalapeños, garlic, peppercorns, and salt. Purée until the peppercorns are completely crushed. Add the cilantro and remaining 1/3 cup orange juice and purée until smooth.
- In a ceramic or glass ovenproof dish, toss the chicken with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 12 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Bake the chicken in the same pan it was marinated in until the meat easily pulls away from the bone, about 40 min. Set the chicken aside to cool.
- Pour the juices from the pan into a bowl or cup and reserve. Refrigerate the juices so that the fat rises to the top. When the chicken is cool, remove the skin and shred the meat into bite-size pieces. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, skim off the fat that has risen to the top of the reserved cooking juices. Use the remaining liquid to moisten the shredded chicken as you reheat it. Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite variety of toppings.
Share this Recipe