- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz. carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
- Read through entire recipe before getting started. Wash and dry all produce. Thinly slice carrots (about ¼ - ½ inch thick). Peel, then small dice onion. Thinly slice green olives. Mince or grate garlic. Remove cilantro from stems and rough chop. Remove ground beef from package.
- Place brown rice, 1 ½ cups water, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a medium pot on medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook (simmer) 25-30 minutes until tender and water has been absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- While rice is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic, sauté 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper to pan with vegetables. Cook – breaking apart with a spoon or spatula – about 2-3 minutes. Add fire-roasted tomatoes and raisins, simmer another 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and beef is fulling cooked. Remove from heat.
- Add sliced green olives and cilantro; toss gently to incorporate.
- Divide rice between bowls and top with beef picadillo. Enjoy!
Recipe provided by East Side Table as part of our Budget Cooking series.
● Ground turkey or chicken would also work well. Simply substitute your choice during step #4.
● For a little added spice, choose fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies or add ½ tsp. red pepper flakes with the cumin in step #4.
● Add additional vegetables to boost the nutritional profile! Frozen peas or corn, while not traditional, would work great. Add ½ bag (7 oz.) with the fire roasted tomatoes in step #4.
Share this Recipe