- 1 baguette 9 inch piece, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice)
- 1/2 bunch asparagus spears, cut into 1 in pieces
- 5 oz. fresh spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup smoked Gouda, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- Cut the bread into cubes and spread them out onto a large baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 450 degrees until dry and pale golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add butter to a medium pan over medium-high heat. Saute leeks for 6 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, asparagus and salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Add cheese and bread to the egg mixture and gently combine. Add the vegetable mixture to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish and press down on the mixture to flatten. Refrigerate now if saving for the next day. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered until puffed, golden brown and cooked through. Cover with foil if the top begins to brown before cooked through.
Adapted from The Mountain Kitchen.
Share this Recipe