- 4 cups navy beans, cooked or canned
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, seeded (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Put cooled beans into a large bowl. Add onion, tomato, garlic, basil, parsley, and olives.
- Make the vinaigrette: put the olive oil into a small bowl, and while whisking it with a fork or whisk, add the wine vinegar or lemon juice, beating until the mixture becomes thickened a bit. Taste for balance; add the vinaigrette to the bean salad.
- Add ½ tsp. salt and several grinds of pepper; taste. Beans can take quite a bit of salt, but you want to add it bit by bit so that you don't add too much.
- Let salad sit at room temperature for at least a half hour before eating so the flavors can marry.
Share this Recipe