- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 medium fresh plum or Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 6 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- salt, to taste
- black and white pepper, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes, onions, and peppers into small pieces. You can use a blender if you prefer.
- In a large pan, heat oil and add the cut ingredients. Sauté on medium-low, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover, season with salt, and keep stir-frying for 2-3 minutes. Add curry powder and cook 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the rinsed rice, butter and bay leaf. Stir and add 6 cups of water, taste test, and add more salt or spices if desired. Cover and cook until desired consistency is reached (about 30 minutes).
Recipe by Henry Kisitu.
Share this Recipe