- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Optional toppings: Avocado, green onions, tomatoes, shredded cheese or sour cream
- Heat the oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot, using the sauté setting. Sauté the onions and peppers until they start to soften, about 5 minutes, then add in cumin, paprika, salt and garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add in the quinoa, lime juice and broth and stir well, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add the salsa and beans on top without stirring and secure the lid.
- Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes and then allow a quick pressure release. Once the pressure is released, test the quinoa. If it is not cooked through, reseal the Instant Pot and pressure cook for another 2-3 minutes, then allow another quick pressure release.
- Once the pressure is released, lightly stir and serve warm in individual bowls. Add your favorite toppings or serve as is.
If you don't have an Instant Pot or prefer to make this recipe on the stove, follow the alternate instructions below:
- Heat oil in a large pan. Sauté the onion and red bell pepper until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute, or until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add salt, ground cumin, smoked paprika and quinoa, and stir to coat. Add vegetable broth and salsa and stir. Bring to a boil and cover.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender.
- Add black beans and simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add additional toppings as desired.
Share this Recipe