Remember the Juicy Lucy, the burger surrounding melted American cheese? Here's a lighter version made with lamb and local goat cheese. Mississippi Market has an extraordinary range of goat cheeses, and it doesn't matter which you choose.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup parsely, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch powdered cinnamon, clove, and chipotle (optional)
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, egg, and spices tot he ground lamb. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Form four balls of meat with your hands. Take one, and use your index and middle finger to push out a core from the center that extends ¾ of the way through the ball. Remove the core, stuff in a tablespoon of cheese, and then reseal the hole with meat from the core.
- Roll the ball over lightly several times to ensure that the burger is well sealed, then lightly compress ball until it's a disc about 1½” thick. Form the rest of the burgers.
- Pan-fry or grill burgers until they're browned and crisp on the outside; this will take about 10 minutes per side. Beware of the hot cheese in the center. Serve on burger buns with fresh spring greens and garlicky mayonnaise.
Share this Recipe