- 4 eggs
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 200 g. sugar
- 150 g. Bob's Red Mill almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Beat eggs until ropey and pale yellow (about 4 minutes), using flat blade of stand mixer; add olive oil and incorporate. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, beat for 6–7 minutes with small mixer or a whisk; the paler the eggs become, the loftier and more tender the cake will be.) The cake will only be successful if the eggs are very thoroughly beaten.
- Add citrus zest and sugar, then ground almonds and baking powder.
- Whisk until combined; pour into oiled spring-form pan.
- Bake until straw or cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, roughly 40–60 minutes. Check frequently toward the end of baking.
- Squeeze ½ cup of lemon juice, add it to ½ cup of sugar in a small saucepan, and cook only until the sugar has completely melted.
- Spread across the top of the cake thinly; in a minute or two, add another layer; keep doing this until you’ve used up all of the syrup.
Share this Recipe