- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 20 ounce pineapple, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan.
- To make the topping: Melt the butter, and mix with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Space the pineapple rings atop the brown sugar mixture.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter and sugar until fairly smooth.
- Beat in the egg, then the salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Add the flour alternately with the milk, mixing at medium speed and beginning and ending with the flour. Once the last of the flour is added, mix briefly, just until smooth.
- Spoon the thick batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges of the pan. It may not cover the pineapple entirely; that's OK.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, wait 3 minutes, then turn the pan over onto a serving plate. Wait 30 seconds, then lift the pan off. If anything sticks in the pan, just lift it out and place it back on the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from kingarthurflour.com
Share this Recipe