- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. cold butter, cut or grated into small pieces
- 6 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together heavy cream, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, combine cold butter with the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Gently toss raspberries into the flour and butter mixture, ensuring that they are evenly distributed, then slowly add the cream and egg yolk mixture. Fold together gently until a dough forms.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently pat it out to be 1-inch think. Cut the dough into 3-inch circles using a cookie or biscuit cutter, and place them on a greased or non-stick baking sheet. Gently push the remaining scraps of dough back together and cut more scones until all the dough is used.
- Beat the egg white and brush the tops of the scones. Bake for 10-14 minutes until just starting to brown.
Recipe adapted from welcometothetable.coop
Photo courtesy of Amanda Paa, Heartbeet Kitchen
Share this Recipe