This recipe is from co-op staff member America Jimenez. America has worked at Mississippi Market for 10 years. With her contagious smile and friendly presence, she is beloved by staff and shoppers alike. The secret ingredient that makes her recipes taste so good is “el amor” — a little love!
- 10 ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the tomatoes, peppers, and jalapeños whole on a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and peel off skins when cool. Add to a blender and blend on high until well mixed.
- While the tomatoes and peppers are roasting, prepare the onion, avocados, and cilantro.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 4–5 minutes.
- Mix tomato mixture, sautéed onions, avocados, and cilantro in a large bowl, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Leave out the avocado if you plan to keep for more than three days.
Photo credit: Heartbeet Kitchen
Share this Recipe