- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. curry
- 1 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice, to taste
- Heat up olive oil in a pot and once simmering add the chopped onion and carrots. Stir until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and curry, cumin, oregano, and cayenne (optional). Drain the diced tomatoes and add in with a stir.
- Pour the lentils, broth, and water in and add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Raise the heat to bring to a boil then partially covering the pot, reduce the heat to bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Take 2 cups of soup and put in the blender (or take a hand-blender and mix until 1/4 of the pot seems blended) and add back to pot. Once complete, add in kale and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, mix in 1/2 Tbsp. of lemon juice, and salt to taste. Enjoy!
Recipe provided by East Side Table as part of our Budget Cooking series.
Share this Recipe