- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process (alkalinized) cocoa powder
- Stir cream and butter in heavy 1-quart saucepan over medium heat until butter has melted and cream has come to a low boil.
- Add both sugars and stir until they dissolve—no graininess should remain in the mixture.
- Reduce heat to low. Add salt and coca; stir briskly with small wire whisk until smooth. When sauce is completely smooth, remove from heat.
- Drizzle over ice cream, pound cake, strawberries or anything that needs a chocolate boost! (If you need to reheat it, you may need to add a bit of hot water, a few drops at a time).
Adapted from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Deserts (1980)
Share this Recipe