- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large cage-free egg
- 2 Tbsp. mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 1/2 Tbsp. sunflower oil
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sumac, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Make sour cream sauce ﬁrst by placing all sauce ingredients in small bowl. Stir well and set aside or chill until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatballs except for the sunﬂower oil. Mix with your hands, then shape into about 18 meatballs, each weighing about 1 1/2oz.
- Pour enough sunﬂower oil into a large frying pan to form a layer about 1/16 inch thick on pan bottom. Heat over medium heat until hot, then sear meatballs in batches on all sides. Cook each batch for about 4 minutes, adding oil as needed, until meatballs are golden brown.
- Carefully transfer seared meatballs to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper and place in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with sauce spooned over the top or on the side.
Recipe adapted from Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi.
Share this Recipe