- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 15.5 oz. cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and spices, and stir to combine.
- Add the beans and broth and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender (or standard blender), process half of the bean and broth mixture until smooth - leaving some chunks remaining.
- Add the chicken and tomatoes and cook over medium-low for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper and remove from heat.
- Serves well topped with shredded cheese or sour cream!
Adapted from emilybites.com
Share this Recipe