Enjoy these tips to make a board that feeds both the eyes and stomach:
- Choose three to four main cheeses to build a board off of. Great combinations include: brie + cheddar + swiss + parmesan; Chevre + manchego + aged gouda + marinated feta; soft washed-rind cheese + farmers cheese + butterkase + blue cheese.
- Arrange the board by flavor: savory and salty together and mild and sweet together.
- Contrast different textures of the cheeses (soft cheese, hard cheese, semi-firm, semi-soft).
- Try to include one or two cheeses that are a different color (yellow cheddar, Colby, blue cheese, Emmenthaler)
- When choosing a “carrier” (crackers/bread) for the cheese, choose one cracker that is mild in flavor so that it doesn’t overpower the flavor of the cheese. Other crackers can be used as decoration or to add other flavors to the board.
- Jams, hummus, pesto or nduja are great additions for spreads.
- Fresh and/or dried fruit add color and variety to the board. This includes olives!
- Cured meats are always a great addition to a board as well. Consider smoked salmon, prosciutto, salami, pâtés, etc.
- Nuts and seeds can be added to enhance the flavors of the board. We love using salted almonds, caramelized walnuts, chocolate-covered cashews, candied pecans, spicy pepitas, etc.