Brake Bread is a local bakery that uses a community supported subscription model to deliver fresh baked goods by bike. After a successfully funded Kickstarter campaign, they opened a retail location on West 7th street in early 2016 for direct sales of their delicious naturally leavened breads and baked goods to an expanding customer base. Shortly afterwards, we partnered with Brake Bread to sell their delicious, freshly baked breads at our nearby West 7th street location. In February 2017, we began carrying Brake Bread products at our Selby store, and brought them to our East 7th store during the summer of 2019.
Brake Bread strongly believes in the power of local, sourcing many of their ingredients (organic grains, seeds, cornmeal, and flour) from Minnesota businesses and farmers. Organic and fair trade coffee, along with local dairy, are served at their West 7th street bakery. The flour used in their bread comes from grain sourced in Minnesota and the Dakotas that is processed at Swany White Mill in Freeport, MN. Plus, many of the spices and baking soda used in their breads and baked goods are purchased directly from Mississippi Market!
Show you support for small, independent businesses while eating amazing locally-made bread! You’ll find the following Brake Bread loafs at all three of our stores, based on seasonality and availability:
- Fwuffy: naturally leavened milk and honey white sandwich bread
- Classic Cruiser: naturally leavened rustic white bread
- Flip Flop: naturally leavened rustic half white/half whole wheat bread
- Baguette: naturally leavened whole wheat baguette
- Oatty Oatty Oatty Oat: a mixed oat, rye, and whole wheat loaf
- Ryed On: naturally leavened rye and pumpernickel bread
- Granny Gear: whole wheat bread with oats and sunflower and flax seeds
- Poppy Wheelie Sesame: whole wheat bread with toasted poppy and sesame seeds