- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium rib of celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 handful fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, optional
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add in garlic and beef, then add in paprika, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for up to 10 min. until the meat is seared and mostly brown. Once browned, take out beef (leave bay leaf in) and add in onion, celery and carrots and cook until onion is translucent.
- Once onion is done, add in beef broth and cook until carrots and celery are soft. Add in beef and diced tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes and season to taste.
- While simmering, in a separate pan, add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and add chopped Brussels sprouts and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on high heat so the Brussels sprouts are seared well!
- When stew is done, serve and top with Brussels sprouts, parsley and/or dollop of yogurt. Serve hot!
Recipe provided by East Side Table as part of our Budget Cooking series.
Share this Recipe