- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups of dry black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 2 cups of canned hominy
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 8 cups of vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. each of oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme
- 1 pinch of pink salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Wash the outside of the squash and cut into ½” cubes, leaving the skin on. Place squash on a baking sheet in an even layer and drizzle with oil. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until tender but not mushy.
- Boil water for black beans and cook approximately 40 minutes or until tender.
- While beans are cooking, dice onion and slice garlic. In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth to onion and garlic mixture. Then add in the black beans, roasted squash and hominy.
- Add the spices (oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, pink salt, black pepper and thyme), then simmer together for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add more herbs, salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Recipe by Christina Valtierra. Image by Celisia Stanton.
Learn how to make Three Sisters Soup directly from Christina on Nov. 10! Register now.
Share this Recipe