These plant-based chocolate lava cakes are gooey, decadent, and perfect to share with your special someone. The recipe can easily be doubled if you’re looking to treat additional friends or family members!
- ¼ cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1/2 tsp. white distilled vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Berries or dairy-free ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Place chocolate chips and coconut milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth and combined. (You can also make the ganache on the stove, heating over low heat, if preferred.) Place the ganache in the freezer for 30 minutes or in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
- Lightly grease two cavities of a muffin tin with oil. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine oat milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Let set for a few minutes.
- Add coconut sugar, avocado oil, vanilla extract and applesauce and beat until combined. Then add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter, then drop in a tablespoon of ganache. Continue filling muffin cups with batter, covering the ganache, until you just reach the top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes no longer appear wet.
- Remove from oven and let cakes rest in the pan for 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip the muffin tin over onto a plate or cutting board to unmold the lava cakes. Gently transfer to serving plates. Garnish with berries or a scoop of your favorite plant-based ice cream, and dig in!
You may have a little batter and ganache left over. Use the batter to make a third mini cake to share, and save any ganache to top ice cream!
This recipe is from Mississippi Market's Plant-Based Recipe Club — a great way to get more plants on your plate!
Share this Recipe