- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained and rinsed
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 lb. dry penne pasta
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste, depending on saltiness of stock/broth)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until starting to soften, then add garlic and continue to sauté another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the stock/broth, dry pasta, salt, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a strong simmer, then turn heat down to medium-low. Keep covered and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- When pasta is almost cooked, uncover the pot and add the sauce. Stir to coat noodles, then stir in spinach. Cover pot again for a few minutes to let the spinach wilt, noodles finish cooking, and sauce warm through. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add another splash of broth to get desired consistency.
- Serve pasta topped with fresh basil, and enjoy!
This recipe is from Mississippi Market's Plant-Based Recipe Club — a great way to get more plants on your plate!
Share this Recipe